Sunday, August 24, 2008

Journey's New Lead Singer Is Our Very Own Arnel Pineda


For some of you Pinoys (Filipinos), this is old news. But I can't help sharing it with those who might have not heard of it yet.

Late last year, Arnel Pineda, who hails from Quezon City in the Philippines, was chosen as the new lead vocalist for the very famous rock group Journey.

According to Blabbermouth, Journey's guitarist Neal Schon was looking for a new lead singer and wanted someone new to the music business, so he turned to YouTube. After finding Arnel singing "Faithfully", he knew he had found the perfect frontman.

"I was frustrated about not having a singer," explains guitarist Neal Schon, "so I went on YouTube for a couple of days and just sat on it for hours. I was starting to think I was never going to find anybody. But then I found THE ZOO (Arnel's Filipino rock band) and I watched a bunch of different video clips that they had posted. After watching the videos over and over again, I had to walk away from the computer and let what I heard sink in because it sounded too good to be true. I thought, 'he can't be that good.' But he is that good, he's the real deal and so tremendously talented. Arnel doesn't sound synthetic and he's not emulating anyone. I tried to get a hold of him through YouTube and I finally heard from him that night, but it took some convincing to get him to believe that it really was me and not an imposter."

The rest is history.

Here's a video of Arnel Pineda singing one of the most popular Journey songs "Open Arms"- one of my favorites! :)

2 Comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

I love classic rock! The older bands are the best aren't they! :o)

Unknown said...

Oh, I heard and saw him in YouTube and he is amazing. Beautiful, beautiful voice!!!!

So proud of him.