Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Attempt At Knitting

Guess what. I found a new hobby: knitting.

Yup. I started teaching myself knitting a few weeks ago and it's been wonderful so far. With a few practice stitches on a yarn from my beginner kit, I am now working on my first project: a really fashionable skinny scarf in garter stitch. I'm so excited! :D

I used to do a lot of cross-stitching right after I got out of college. I stopped doing it for a few years and then when I was pregnant with Gabriel (my first-born son), I picked it up again. But with three big out-of-state moves, my craft projects have just been put away in boxes somewhere in the storage that I hadn't had the chance to look at them or work on them again. And then a few weeks ago while browsing through Etsy, I was inspired by all the beautiful creations one can make out of knitting. I have always wanted to learn to knit and so I started researching and reading about it. Good thing I have about a hundred dollars worth of Amazon gift certificates- (thanks to my writing habits!)- I was able to use them to get a few beginner knitting books, a couple of how-to DVD's, kits and supplies on Amazon. I was actually amazed that you can buy a lot of stuff on Amazon with prices that are way better than the bookstore or craft store.

Anyway friends, I'll be sure to post my finished scarf on here in a couple weeks. You know how it is-- in between taking care of the boys, the laundry, the kitchen, (forget about going to the gym and using the ellipticals already!) I'll be lucky if I can get one straight hour sitting and doing my knitting projects. But so far, knitting has been a relaxing hobby. I have always been crafty and love seeing my finished work so I think I am going to love it. I mean... I love it already! :D

So how are you all? Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!

4 Comments:

Unknown said...

Well done Jo! I love to look at Etsy for inspirations too. Hope you keep up with it. Start slow and one project at a time. I got so many yarns now since I went over my head one time. I have tons of projects that needs finishing, lol.

Keep us posted on your projects :)

Marjana Simic said...

I have also just started knitting and enjoy it very much. I agree it's very relaxing. I hope your scarf turns out beautiful.

Rhonda Greene said...

I tried to learn to knit, but always got soooo frustrated lol! I can crochet like a madwoman though. :D

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

I just finished reading The Friday Night Knitting Club over the weekend and that book gave me the urge to want to learn how to knit. I bought some supplies now I just need to sit down and see if I can figure it all out! Good Luck on your scarf!

Thanks for stopping by my place.

By the way, I love the page background you have!