Friday, May 30, 2008

Can You Suggest Great Toys for Plane Travel?


I am totally psyched about my up and coming trip to the Philippines to visit my siblings, whom I have not seen in three years. My last visit was in late 2005 so I'm excited to see everyone again.

It will just be me and my two little boys, Gabriel and Jaden. As excited as I am however, I can't help feeling anxious about being on a long plane ride with my babies. I know it will be a real challenge trying to keep up with my kiddos. The one thing that gives me reassurance is that I will have my girlfriend Loyna's mom (I call her Nanay Gloria) to accompany and help me with my kids on this long 27-hour trip. I know she will help me a lot, but still..(sigh).

By the way, do you all have any suggestions for toys or activities for kids ages 1-3 years old that are suitable for plane travel? Something that you might have already tried and tested on your trips with your kids?

I've been reading up a lot on this topic online and saw this very interesting website about a mom who travels 2-3 times a year on long international travels with her 3 little kids. She was very informative and I like the fact that she writes from experience. I'm also glad I will have an opportunity to sample the most talked about product in kid travel safety called CARES, a child aviation restraint system that's approved by the FAA, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the National Transportation Safety Board. I will be reviewing this very helpful travel safety product for kids on Hip Mama's Place, most likely after I have used it on the plane trip.

3 Comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

Geez I don't even know what you are allowed to take on airplanes these days. Aidan loves playing his hand held video game and it can keep his occupied for a long time. The only other thing I can suggest is bringing coloring books and crayons. It sounds like a great trip and I want to see lots of photos. :o)

Vhiel said...

jo when are you flying home to the philippines?

Dette said...

Oh WOW! I am so excited for you! I haven't been since I was 12 years old, and hope to take my family sometime in the next 5 years.

Good luck - hope you get some good ideas to keep the little ones entertained for the plane ride! Our last trip was only a couple of hours, so we just had gum/candy for take off and landing, books and coloring/activity books and the wonderful doodle boards that they can draw on, erase, and draw again.

Keep us posted!

P.S. We've also used video iPods and portable DVD players in the past, and "surprise" little toys to bust out every now and then. OMG - I'm getting tired just thinking about it!