Friday, January 30, 2009

Health and Weight Matters

Lately, I have been reading a lot on health and weight matters. This morning I went to WebMD and saw this really helpful article on surprising reasons why we gain weight. As always, common causes include lack of sleep, stress, and improper diet and physical inactivity. With life becoming more and more hectic, I have to look in deeper into these things and try to make changes everyday. Even small steps count. Like, I used to stay up really late. Now I give myself a cut-off time. Right after I put the kids to sleep at night, I do my usual chores- clean the kitchen, read a few emails, check my blogs, then call it a night. I know the computer can be really addicting especially on days when I know I am home all day with the kids. But I have started setting limits for myself on my daily presence online. It's tough, my friends. But I gotta start somewhere.

Then the gym. Ugh, if I could only go at least three times a week. Hmm, maybe twice is good enough. Better than nothing. I know some of my friends rely on weight loss pills to take the extra pounds off quick. I won't deny trying those before. But as hectic my life had become, I find that taking pills religiously on a daily basis is a real tough challenge for me. So I kinda gave up on that idea for now.

For my food intake, I've started going to MyPyramid.gov for the recommended daily allowance and healthy ideas on food. They even have stuff there for my kids that are really helpful.

Any other ideas on making positive changes on health and losing/maintaining weight? Please share!

2 Comments:

Nicole Marie said...

WATER!!! If you're not drinking it, start. My hubs is really into working out and he started me on 3 sets of 10 push ups, 3 sets of 10 crunches, 3 sets of 10 squats...nothing to it. Do them 3 times a week. And you can do em through out the day. Its helped me become consistent, wanting to train even more.

Nicole

Unknown said...

If you journal your foods throughout the day and your current mood it can help in the beginning to determine why you eat. Eat mini meals instead of 3 big meals. I've recently read that using a pedometer to count your steps vs walking so many minutes or a particular distance has shown to be more productive. So get your 10K steps in daily! :-)

Farrah from Wife and Mom of 3
http://wifeandmomof3.net