Saturday, October 20, 2007

Oven-Baked French Toast Recipe


Yumm..I love French Toast. Whenever we go out and have breakfast at IHop or La Madeleine (my hubby and I's two favorite breakfast places), I always order a big old, mouth-watering cinnamon French Toast.

Here's a wonderful Oven-Baked French Toast recipe I found online. I am thinking of making this one day this week for breakfast. Gotta put this on my grocery list for the next stop. :)

*For French toast
8 ounces (1/2 loaf) stale bread (preferably challah, or a soft French or Italian bread with the crusts removed), cut into 1-inch cubes
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

*For topping
3 tablespoons butter, cut into slices
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then butter a 9- by 9-inch baking pan. Arrange the bread cubes in the pan in one layer. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes, then chill, covered, for 1 hour.

Make topping: In a small bowl, stir together butter, sugar, and walnuts with a fork until mixture is crumbly and butter is evenly distributed. Sprinkle topping over soaked bread cubes. Bake French toast until custard is set and bread is evenly puffed, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly, about 10 minutes, before serving.

Yummy!!! :)

3 Comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

That sounds so good! I want french toast now!

Carrie said...

French toast is my favorite...I could eat it everyday...this recipe is a must try :0) THANKS

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, carrie and tammy! :)